PPC 7 min read
4 Essential Methods and Tools to Improve Your SEO in 2021
- 19 May 2021 6 min read
Methods and tools to improve your SEO in 2021 are not lacking in the internet. In fact, with the vast options, your next problem is choosing one that has comprehensive and targeted features that help you achieve your optimization goals.
It's important to consider your search engine ranking if you want consumers to reach you quickly online (for example, in Google, Bing or Yandex). Improving your SEO in 2021 is very crucial, as it is one of the best ways to market your product and services.
SEO is all about creativity, patience, and using the right keywords. Choosing the right keyword is as important as other on-page and off-page SEO techniques. According to SEMRush, 73% of marketers use SEO tools to enhance their content marketing strategy.
SEO is a long-term approach, and the best way to see your organic traffic rise over time is to keep improving your SEO strategy. Use these tactics and tools to improve the search engine rankings in 2021:
1. Check and refresh your keyword
Keywords are terms often searched for on search engines like Google and Bing. These keywords are an important factor in deciding the website's rankings. If you use the right amount and quality of keywords your pages will rise in rankings over time.
Keyword strategies have evolved to become more sophisticated over the years; you can’t just go stuffing a page with as many keywords as possible anymore.
Nowadays, you must do analysis, use a broader and highly relevant range of keywords, and integrate them naturally into the content. Google basically said that if you want to earn the attention of their searchers, you’ll have to fight for it.
Tools for doing keyword research
- Ahrefs. This platform provides the user with a broad keyword report and specific click metrics based on clickstream info. To develop ideas on Google, Bing, Amazon, YouTube, and other search engines, you can use the Ahrefs Keyword Explorer.
- AlsoAsked. AlsoAsked is a tool that can be used to target more long-tail and non-competitive keywords. Through the tool, you can pick out common questions asked by internet searchers which you can answer with your content.
- Answer the Public. This is a similar tool to AlsoAsked. Make sure to utilize the linked phrases for brainstorming and analysis.
2. Conduct a backlink audit to identify gaps
Apart from keywords, search engines also consider backlinks to be one of the key parameters in ranking. It's a really straightforward concept: the more trustworthy, relevant links that connect to a website, the more useful and beneficial the page must be.
Backlink audit is the method of reevaluating all of the site's incoming links and determining which links are worthwhile and which are not. In a nutshell, you compile a list of all the websites that lead to yours, then evaluate the content of each page linked and assign it to one of two categories: "good" or "bad."
Then, as far as possible, you begin cleaning up “bad” backlinks and begin removing certain links that are harming the website's rankings one by one. Below, you'll read how you can implement these methods and tools to improve your SEO.
Actions to take when conducting a backlink audit
- Review the backlinks coming from other websites
- Identify unnatural links that need to be removed
- Compare links with your competitors
- Identify websites you can reach out to for link-building
Tools for conducting a backlink audit
- Ahrefs. Ahrefs will aid in the growth of your search traffic, competitor testing, and backlink monitoring. On Site Explorer, you can easily check your full backlink profile and link footprint. You can also go granular and inspect the sources of your backlinks and anchor texts associated with your links.
- SEMRush. SEMRush backlink audit is a universal tool which enables you to review and delete or reject malicious links coming from different websites. By connecting to Google Search Console, you can obtain a comprehensive list and get rid of possible dangerous connections directly from the tool.
3. Audit your content features to spot areas you can tweak
An SEO content audit involves a complete catalog of all indexable domain content that is then evaluated from various source output indicators to assess what content it needs to maintain, where it should enhance, and what it needs to delete or optimize.
Why you need to do a content audit
- To determine which contents need to be updated and improved
- To figure out the best ranking pages and keyword
- Discover content opportunities
- Learn lessons for future content
Steps to conduct a content audit
- Delete or redirect low performing pages
- Evaluate your website traffic based on content
- Evaluate your backlinks (natural and unnatural)
- Collect and analyze your data and information
- Create an action plan for your new content marketing strategy
Tools for conducting content audit
- Ahrefs. Through the Top Pages section in the Site Explorer, you can find out which of your pages are the most successful. Through the crawl, you’ll see that your web pages will be ranked depending on your determined metrics. Ideating for topics that work on social or for backlinkers? You can find it in the Top Pages report.
- Moz domain and page rating. This tool helps you generate reports that include domain authority, top-ranking pages, ranking keywords, and others. Additionally, it's also useful in researching and analyzing competitor’s backlinks, find broken links, discover link-building opportunities, research top-performing content, and analyze anchor text.
- Screaming Frog. This is a crawling tool that goes through the entire library of pages for a specific website and provides the user with detailed information on SEO issues the website may have. It functions as a comprehensive website auditing tool that generates reports on over 30 different criteria like anchor text, reaction time, and meta details.
4. Additional tweaks for SEO optimization
Besides content creation, content auditing, backlinks, and on-page SEO techniques, there are a few factors that come into play for ranking your content higher in search engines. Let’s take a quick look at some important ranking factors.
- Title optimization
Google must know what the page is about in order to feature it in search engine results pages (SERPs). It's easier for search engine crawlers to understand the website if you include unique keywords in the title tag of your web page or blog post. For example:
If you are targeting the keyword for “digital marketing agency,” your page title can be“Best digital marketing agency in the Philippines.”
In order to get the best results, limit your title to 55 characters.
- URL optimization
Short explanations of the content of the page should be included in a URL for your website pages. In addition to a long string of numbers, the use of your keyword in your URL makes it easy to browse your website and allows you a deeper insight into page topics.
Let’s take an example of how URL optimization should look like.
Which of the above URLs would you visit? Using a clear and organized URL for your page improves your site design and helps your page to rank higher in search engines.
- Meta description optimization
Meta descriptions, or meta tags that describe what a website is about, are often illustrated in the SERPs under the page's title. Adding keywords in your meta description makes it more relevant for search engines as well as your audience. In order to get the best results, limit your meta description length to 160 words.
- Image optimization
Not only will the text be optimized on one page, but it is also possible to configure other media. For example, images may send relevant signals of the search engine through their alt text, title, and description.
Often use an alt tag when creating multimedia content. Your alt tags assist people who cannot view or communicate with your site besides Google. When you use alt tags, you make your content available to anyone who visits your website.
Digital and the practice of SEO specifically continues to evolve in order to best serve internet users who have questions that need answering. In seeking methods and tools to improve your SEO strategies, remember that:
- SEO should ultimately serve the audience rather than the search engines. In doing so, you’re not only awarded good positions on result pages, but the trust and confidence of audiences.
- Spend time on the basics of good content creation and copywriting and staying up to date on technology developments, and the effect of topics like backlinks, web speed, and schema is always appreciable.
- There's a lot to think about, but keep in mind that you don't have to become the world's best SEO specialist immediately. Make an attempt to learn even the fundamentals of SEO, and you'll see a significant improvement in your website's click-through numbers, engagement, and, of course, rankings.