What Web Developers and Designers Do for Business Sites
PropelrrSeptember 20, 2022
Websites boost your online presence but what do web developers do exactly, and how do they differ from designers? Take a look and read more.
A lot has changed since the early days of the internet. In the beginning, it was enough to have a website that was pretty and worked well enough. But as competition increased and users became more demanding, the bar was raised.
These days, if you want a website that will help you stand out from the crowd and attract and retain customers, you need to make sure you have a team of professionals who know what they’re doing. So, what do web developers do and how are they different from web designers?
Web developers are responsible for coding and building the backend of websites. This includes everything from ensuring that a website loads quickly to making sure that it’s secure from hackers. In order to be good at web development, you need to be proficient in a number of different programming languages as well as have a good understanding of how computer systems work.
Web Developers typically have a college degree in computer science or a related field. However, because there is such high demand for web development professionals, many people are self-taught or have completed one of the dozens of bootcamps that have popped up in recent years.
Here are some tools that web developers commonly use:
- HTML editor: An HTML editor is a software tool used to create and edit HTML code. It allows you to create and modify the structure and content of a website. Some popular HTML editors are Dreamweaver, Notepad++, and Sublime Text.
- CSS editor: A CSS editor is a tool used to create and edit CSS code. It allows you to style the appearance of a website by changing the colors, fonts, and layout. Some popular CSS editors are Dreamweaver, Notepad++, and Sublime Text.
- Web browser: A web browser is a program used to view websites. It allows you to see the structure and content of a website, as well as interact with it. Some popular web browsers are Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer.
- FTP client: An FTP client is a program used to upload and download files between your computer and a server. It allows you to transfer files between your computer and the server where your website is hosted. Some popular FTP clients are FileZilla, Cyberduck, and WinSCP.
Web designers are responsible for creating the visual look of websites. This includes everything from choosing the right colors and fonts to creating layouts that are easy for users to navigate. In order to be a good web designer, you need to have an eye for aesthetics and be up-to-date on the latest trends in web design, especially for marketing purposes.
Like web developers, most professional web designers also have a college degree (usually in graphic design or a related field). However, because the required skills can be learned relatively easily, there are many designers who are self-taught or have only completed a short-term training program.
For the most part, web designers use the following tools for creating a webpage:
There are a variety of different tools that web designers use to build a website. The most common ones are:
- Graphic design software: This includes programs like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Graphics designers use these programs to create the visuals for a website, such as the logo, header graphics, and other images.
- Website builders: These programs allow you to create a website without any coding knowledge. They typically have templates that you can use, and you can drag and drop elements to create your pages. Popular website builders include Wix and Squarespace.
Which one do you need for your business website?
Now you’re faced with another decision: do you need a web designer or a web developer?
The answer to this question depends on the scope of your project:
- If you need someone to design a website from scratch, including creating all of the content, then you need a web designer.
- However, if you already have a website and just need someone to make some changes or add new features, then you need a web developer.
- Both web designers and web developers are important parts of the website development process.
- In many cases, you may even need both. For example, if you’re starting from scratch, you’ll need a web designer to create the initial design and layout of your website.
- Once the website is launched, you may need a web developer to make additional changes or add new features down the road.
So when it comes to deciding between a web designer and a web developer, it all comes down to your specific needs. By taking the time to understand the scope of your project, you can ensure that you hire the right person for the job.
It’s important for any business to learn about which one they need, especially when it comes to putting up their own website. Take note that:
- Development and design are two separate aspects of creating a website.
- Development is more focused on the functionality and workings of the website, while design is more focused on the aesthetics and overall look and feel of the website.
- It is important to have a good balance between both development and design, as each aspect can greatly affect how users interact with and perceive the website.
For more insights on how web design and development aid your business performance on digital, make sure to subscribe to the Propelrr newsletter.